Sunday, April 17, 2011

Everyone likes mail, don't they?

At the end of last week I discovered that my theory of everyone likes getting mail was blown all the pieces.   I can't believe I didn't post about it when it happened!
Anyway there I was minding my own business happily(sort of) cataloging law books and I kept kicking something.  That was annoying, so after a few times I had to find out what.  There's a box under my desk just far enough away to be almost invisible, but close enough to get in my way.
Anyone who knows me knows I have to find out what it is and why it's stashed under a desk.  In a rarely used office.
So I crawl under the desk and it's unopened.  Oh.  Well, that's odd.  But it could be old Seminar literature or something.  So I dig out the Swiss Army knife to slice and dice the packaging.  While I'm tearing into it I notice the postmark.  2006.  July 2006 to be exact.  Uh-oh.  That can't be good.  It was shipped to us from Long Island almost 5 years ago and the contents are still a mystery.  Well, I was right and wrong.  It wasn't good for me and my to do list, but it was a good thing that I found them.
The books were the long lost Society for Urban Planning donations.  I don't remember the full name of the organization but we call it SCUPAD.
They had been donated to the library with the expectations that they would have their own shelf in a prominent spot, but the shipped books had never been found.
Why not I wonder, since they were only shoved under a desk?!  In a rarely used office! So there was much rejoicing in the higher ranks here, since SCUPAD is meeting in the beginning of May and want to see their shelf finished.  I had to catalog all the books and add special bookplates for them.
Sometimes that New England work ethic really gets in the way.

No comments: