Monday, April 18, 2011

Monchsberg

I was determined to do something touristy today.  I was going to go to the Mozart Geburtshaus, and I did go past it meaning to go in, but there was this long line, snaking down the stairs into the lobby.  So I passed. 

I ended up walking along the Monschberg, which is the hill overlooking the city.  There are great trails and views as well as remnants of the old city walls. 
The Monchsberg, which means Monk's Hill in German,  is the major feature in Salzburg.  It's where the Festung is, the city walls, and where they built the Modern Museum of Art in the late 20th century. 
But back to the hiking.  It was nice.  A bit chilly up there, but the sun was out and there were sheltered spots.  I walked a lot more than I planned.  Up stairs, around walls, through tunnels and over the town.
It's also a great way to get a new perspective on the city.  From some of the viewpoints you can see how small Salzburg really is.

No comments: