Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Troubleshooting tech

Officially I have responsibility for the schloss library and the Vilar center in the Meierhof.  I don't spend a lot of time in the Meierhof part of the library, except to shelve the materials and do the journals and papers.  I have to change that, but there's so much to do in the schloss that it's hard to make time to get over here in the daytime.

I was being a bit lazy this afternoon and didn't want to hike back up the stairs to my room to check e-mail so I decided to use the computers in the Vilar center.

I'm glad I did, cause those babies need some serious TLC.  I started running disc clean-ups and de-fragmentation scans.  Man, that took forever and while the de-fragmentation is done the disc clean-ups are not.  The compression of files slowed them down to the point of inactivity.  To top it all off 2 of the machines kept freezing so I literally had to pull the plugs to restart them.  I'll have to figure it out.

The least we could do is provide up to date speedy machines for session people and the hotel guests here.  Hopefully the basic care will speed them up a little.  Even if it doesn't it certainly can't hurt them.

I'm planning on finishing the clean-up in the morning and maybe run a virus scan on all the machines too.  As well as do the same thing on the 4 workstations in the library, and of course the office workstation.  And on a personal note I have run clean-up and de frag scans on the laptop, just in case.  It's in much better shape than those!

No comments: